Friday, July 31, 2015

Extended Rear Facing

I wanted to share this in hopes that other moms will see this and hopefully do the same. 
Matthew and I rear faced Malachi's car seat around age 16 months. The reason was because he would cry and fuss turned around backwards. Everyone kept saying how we should turn him around and my mommy instinct knew it wasn't time. But I listened to everyone else and turned him around. And I'll admit he's been happier. But then the other day I read a story of an 11 month old boy who was turned forward right at the weight limit and he was thrown from the car in an accident and was brain dead. They pulled the plug a few days later and that was it. New studies are saying that you need to keep your child rear facing until AT LEAST age two. But longer if possible. 
And guess what? We will be turning Malachi back around despite his whining. Because I'd rather hear him whine then have him killed in an accident and never be able to hear him whine again. 
I hope that you will consider extended rear facing if you're a parent. It's our job to protect them and I used to have this mind set that I won't be one of those people who gets into an accident. But you don't know what's going to happen and an accident can happen to ANYONE. Seeing the pictures of that sweet little boy laying in the hospital bed was more than enough to make me rethink rear facing my children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment